Connecting with our tomorrow - today
Connect With Us
Calendar of Events
There are no events to display for this time period.

>> More Events

IRA Gifts

You can save your heirs and your estate a potential tax burden by naming Queen of All Saints Parish as a beneficiary of an IRA or other qualified retirement plan. The gift can be made simply, by using your beneficiary designation forms.

IRA GiftsIRA Gifts Extended through 2013!

Congress has extended through 2013 the legislation which allows donors to make tax-free gifts from their IRA Accounts. If you are age 70 ½ or older and do not need all or a part of the distributions from your IRA, you can make tax-free gifts totaling up to $100,000 in 2012 and 2013 from your traditional IRA to qualified charities until December 31, 2013. If your spouse has a separate IRA account, you may each make a gift up to $100,000. While you cannot claim a charitable deduction for IRA gifts, your gift amount will reduce your taxable estate, and you will not be required to pay federal income tax on any amounts you distribute to qualified charities.

Qualified charitable distributions:

  • Can total up to $100,000 in each tax year (if your spouse has a separate IRA account you can each contribute up to $100,000 per tax year);
  • Can be excluded from your gross income for feral income tax purposes, however no charitable deduction is available;
  • Are not subject to limitations on your itemized deductions.

IRA Rollover Questions and Answers

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 has extended the IRA Rollover for 2012 and 2013. Originally passed in 2006 as part of the Pension Protection Act, the IRA Rollover allows individuals age 70½ and older to make direct transfers totaling up to $100,000 per year to 501(c)(3) charities, without having to count the transfers as income for federal income tax purposes.

Who qualifies?

Individuals who are age 70½ or older at the time of the contribution (you have to wait until your actual 70½th birthday to make the transfer).

Return to Top

How much can I transfer?

$100,000 per year for 2012 and 2013. The provision expires on December 31, 2013.

Return to Top

From what accounts can I make transfers?

Transfers must come from your IRAs directly to Queen of All Saints Parish. If you have retirement assets in a 401k, 403b etc., you must first roll those funds into an IRA, and then you can direct the IRA administrator to transfer the funds from the IRA directly to Queen of All Saints Parish.

Return to Top

To what charities can I make gifts?

Tax exempt organizations that are classified as 501(c)(3) charities, including Queen of All Saints Parish to which deductible contributions can be made.

Return to Top

Can I use the IRA Rollover to fund life-income gifts (charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, or pooled income funds), donor advised funds or supporting organizations?

No, these are not eligible.

Return to Top

How will Queen of All Saints Parish count the gift?

We will give you full credit for the entire gift amount.

Return to Top

What are the tax implications to me?

You do not recognize the transfer to Queen of All Saints Parish as income, provided it goes directly from the IRA administrator to us. However, you are not entitled to an income tax charitable deduction for your gift.

Each state has different laws, so you will need to consult with your own advisors. Some states have a state income tax and will include this transfer as income. Within those states, some will allow for a state income tax charitable deduction and others will not. Other states base their state income tax on the federal income or federal tax paid. Still other states have no income tax at all.

Return to Top

Does this transfer qualify as my minimum required distribution?

Once you reach age 70½, you are required to take minimum distributions from your retirement plans each year, according to a federal formula. IRA Rollovers count towards your minimum required distribution from the IRA for the year.

Return to Top

How do I know if an IRA Rollover is right for me?

You are at least age 70½, and:

  • You do not need the additional income necessitated by your minimum required distribution, OR
  • Your charitable gifts already equal 50% of your adjusted gross income, so you do not benefit from an income tax charitable deduction for additional gifts, OR
  • You do not itemize deductions, OR
  • You are subject to income phase-outs on your income tax deductions.

What is the procedure to execute an IRA Rollover?

Letter of Instruction from Donor to Plan Provider for 2013 Gifts (.DOC) (PDF)

For more information, please contact Cathy Laughlin, Office of Development and Planned Giving at 219-872-9196.

Return to Top